You know that list of 23 things you *should* do before you get married or instead of getting engaged or whatever? Yeah it’s the one everyone is obsessed with. All this controversy. Blah blah. How are you going to make this new, Bonnie Jean? By telling you there isn’t a deadline for you to do certain things. Do things because you want to. Do things because you have a fire burning inside you to do a thing, I don’t know what the thing is, but if you want to do it… then do it already. I really don’t understand why we need to do so many things by a certain age. No one has it completely figured out at 22. If someone tells you they do then they’re a liar.
So yeah I’m going to give you a list of things you can do IN GENERAL. And in no particular order because I believe in that kind of life.
- Love. Do as Jesus did and just LOVE without reservations. The world needs more of it.
- In regards to food: understand that discipline does not mean deprivation. You can have your cake and eat it, too. Just not the whole thing.
- Grammar. Make it a habit.
- Introduce yourself or be introduced to new music. Go to the LA Philharmonic or an Emery concert, it doesn’t matter. Music is good for the soul.
- Get active. Our bodies were not built to be lazy. It wants to get out and do things. Take a hike.
- Cuddle with puppies. It’s magical.
- Get in front of a camera. Be it a classic family portrait or boudoir photos. Whatever. Have a professional photographer take pictures of you just because.
Buy as many copies of the Twilight Saga that you can find and set them on fire.Read more books.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Pay it forward and don’t brag about it. Be thankful when someone pays it forward for you and keep the chain going.
- Tip generously.
- Read your bible and journal about it.
- Volunteer yourself and your talents to people and organizations who might need you.
- Learn to cook. Stop wearing “I can’t cook” like it’s something to be proud of. It won’t sustain you.
- Have a conversation with someone who you absolutely don’t see eye to eye with; make yourself think.
- Travel. Anywhere. Just go.
- Have alone time. Unplugged. Just do something alone and be comfortable with it.
- Don’t just vote for the lesser of two evils. It’s still evil.
- Don’t believe everything you hear from the first source you find. Be informed. Ignorance is annoying, but an honest lack of knowledge is an opportunity.
- Drink water, tea, and wine. If you’ve never tried wine, I repeat: ignorance is annoying, but an honest lack of knowledge is an opportunity. It’s grown up grape juice. If you struggle with alcoholism, don’t drink wine.
- Make stupid bets with people over situations with a clear outcome because it’s fun. Only bet a dollar. If you lose, whatever it’s a dollar. If you win, save it for the next stupid bet.
- Wear a watch. Don’t check your phone for the time, check your watch. Grown ups wear watches. I think.
THAT’S MY LIST. You can love it or hate it, I don’t care. Just be a well-rounded person and stop acting like each year is a deadline to have some ridiculous list accomplished. Pick one big thing each year to accomplish. Don’t be overwhelmed by this life, because it isn’t permanent.